24 November 2009

Faces from the Past

Here is a photograph taken in Bishopsgate Street Without in the City of London in the year 1894 or thereabouts. This lovely little girl is my great grandmother Annie.

I am lucky to be able to put a name to the face on this carte de visite. There are a few other family photographs portraying ancestors I am yet to properly identify.

This picture is on this blog because I am writing here on the topic of identity. You may already know that I have a family history blog, too, called Ancestors Within.


Cartes des visites were very popular ways of exchanging photographs, long before the Internet came into existence. You can read more about them here, and here, and here.

If you have ever tried to put a name to an old photograph, you will know that it can involve quite a lot of detective work. Learning about locations can help, as in this example.

No comments:

Post a Comment